Monday, August 6, 2012

Mondays with Mindy: The Dirty on Dry Shampoo


While many people may think I'm a dirty little girl, I do not shampoo my hair every day. In fact, I can go about 4 days without shampooing mine! To clear all the negative opinions forming, this does not mean I skip showers. Those should be necessary every day for every one!  But the truth is, for medium length hair it takes about 24 hours for the natural (and healthy) oils to spread from the roots to the ends of the hair strand. Shampooing everyday can strip your hair of its natural oils leaving your hair dry and brittle. My solution? Use a dry shampoo!

How does it work? Dry shampoo is basically a starch or talc based substance which soaks up some of the oil at your roots. This product takes away excess shine at the scalp but leaves the rest of the hair virtually untouched. This eliminates excess heat from blow drying every day. Also, less shampoos equal less opportunities for hair color to fade! Think of it as dry cleaning your clothes. The clothes are cleaned, but never wet, and any spots on the clothing (think oil at your roots) are eliminated. When finished, your clothes are still intact and in good shape. It's the same thing with dry shampoo!

How do I use it?  Hold the can as far away from your hair as possible; at least 10-12 inches. Because the product has a powdery base, if sprayed too close, whitish or chalky looking roots can be the outcome...not a good look! So spray the root of the hair, not the actual scalp. Spray around the part, hairline and around the crown. Wait a minute. Brush through. Voila! Clean hair:)

Added bonus. Not only does dry shampoo rid hair of excess oil, it adds volume as well. Sometimes I will use dry shampoo on clean hair to add extra oomph.

Which product? I personally like the product in an areosol can which can be sprayed into the hair. Sprays aren't necessarily for everyone though. There are foam products in stores especially made for people with curly hair which aren't brushed but "scrunched" through. After trying several different products, I have fallen in love with the aerosol spray, TIGI Rockaholic "Dirty Secret" dry shampoo. Its my dirty little secret! I've found it works best for me. Also, since dry shampoo has a starchy base, it's powdery, leading some products actually smelling like baby powder. Well I don't want to go to work or out on the town smelling like a baby! "Dirty Secret" has a citrus scent whichs makes it different from a lot of the other products out there.


As if my life can't get any better?!? Rockaholic has now added the perfect mate for it's dry shampoo. Dry conditioner. I'm not going to lie, when I first saw this I thought, "why is that necessary?". But one day it dawned on me. A few days after shampooing my hair normally, the ends of my hair were left looking dry due to the lack of heat used and a little wild due to sleeping on my style. Solution? Dry conditioner! So when it's time for some dry shampoo in my life, I follow the directions above and then grab my can of  Rockaholic "Dirty Secret" dry conditioner and spray mid shaft to the ends of my hair. This tames my "bed head" by making my ends smooth and shiny. Added bonus: it's so lightweight so it won't weigh down the hair!

So, to all you dirty little girls out there like me, try adding some dry shampoo and conditioner to your life. It will save time, the integrity of your hair, and keep your style rockin' for one more day!

xoxo Mindy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...